Saturday, March 24, 2012

Baseball Practice with Synonyms and Antonyms

SO excited baseball season is almost here! I'm from Texas, and the Ranger's Ballpark is literally right across the highway from my school! I work with two Ranger fanatics, and they are the ones that gave me the idea to create something with a baseball theme. We are completely in review mode right now, and something my kids keep stumbling on is synonyms and antonyms. Some of my kids really caught on when I taught this the first time, but some of them really struggle! I wanted to review it differently hoping it would actually stick this time! I created a few activities and worksheets to get them excited to learn!

This was a game where they had to walk around the room and match their synonym/antonym. This turned out to be a lot of fun, and it launched several discussions:) 


 Matching synonyms
 Matching antonyms

Then it was time to play baseball!! Classroom style, though! I was pleasantly surprised at how much they enjoyed this. I knew they would like it, but I had no idea how much they would L.O.V.E it. I  have a pretty competitive group of kids this year, and I'm sure that added to the fun! Below are pictures of them playing.

The girl in the middle holding the paper is the "pitcher." She would call out a word, and I would let the "batter" know if they have to give the synonym or antonym for that word. If they got the word right, they could move to first base and so on. This picture shows three of the kids on base, and one at home plate "batting." They would score a point as each kid made their way around the bases and crossed home plate. If the "batter" missed the word, it was an automatic out. After three outs, we would switch teams and I would assign a new pitcher. 
 One of the bases:
 This is what the pitcher used to call out the words. After they called the word, they had to mark it with a highlighter so it wouldn't be repeated. 

This is a picture of their independent work


We had a blast with this review! It was a lot of fun, and you can purchase the pages I used at my TpT store here. Here is a preview page to glance at:


No comments: