Thursday, July 5, 2012

Classroom Jobs

I had the privilege of having an AMAZING mentor when I was a student teacher. One of the first things she taught me was to give EVERY student a job. Every. Single. One.

Over the years I have seen the value in this as it makes every child in my classroom feel like they are an important contributor to our daily flow and function. They have made my life a breeze, and some days I truly believe my kiddos could run my classroom without me there! It's just amazing. It's also a great way for that one difficult student to know they are part of the classroom like everyone else! Even if they have a bad day, I still expect them to do their classroom job, and many times that seems to help whatever is going on.

I change their jobs every six weeks. I do this so each child has 6 opportunities to get that "dream job" they want. They also know when report cards go home, it's time to switch out jobs! I usually make them fill out an "application." I do this so I know what kind of job they are interested in, and it is an excellent way to show them that they WILL use their writing skills one day outside of my classroom:) It's important to encourage them to list at least 3 jobs they would like to have because the "dream  jobs" get filled up pretty quickly! Here is a little list of some of the jobs in my room:

This person makes sure my library is organized! They return books for me, bring books to the big library, and help make sure books are good condition! 
This person erases the board, and helps make sure the classroom is cleaned up before we go home each day! 
This person passes out all papers at the end of the day that need to go home! 
This is one of the "dream jobs" that I mentioned earlier! There are usually 2 hall monitors. They walk beside the line in the hallway to make sure students are quiet and walking correctly. They have a clip board where they mark an "x" next the the student's name each time they break a line/hallway rule. At the end of the week, if anyone is without an "x" they get rewarded! 
This person is in charge of passing out all the paper! 

This one is pretty self explanatory! The door holder is ALWAYS at the front of the line, unless they are holding the door! They wait until everyone is out of the room, and then they return to the front to hold the next door for us! 

This person is in charge of making sure Absent Folders get put on student desks, and for filling out the Absent Work worksheet for the student who is gone! 

This person makes sure all the computers are plugged in, and all electrical items are turned off before we leave for the day! They will also help me with computers, iPads, laptops, etc. 
This is the person who goes to the board to erase or add minutes for recess. If the entire class is out of control, I will announce they have lost 5 minutes of recess, and the minutes monitor immediately hops up to erase minutes from the board! Minutes can always be earned back! 
This student goes to the board to write down names whenever I need to step out of the room. They also help the substitute on days I am out. 
This student changes the calendar for us everyday. This is a great job to give to one of those students who would struggle with anything else! (you know who they are:))
Believe it or not, we have breakfast in our classrooms! This student is in charge of getting the trash bag for us, and making sure everyone's trash is put away!



I am actually in the middle of creating a new job chart for my classroom this year! Below is a picture of what I have so far. My old one just bit the dust, and it needed a little freshening up! I put the labels on library pockets and then I put popsicle sticks with student names on them in each job pocket. This makes it very easy to switch around every six weeks! 



If you like these labels I have for my jobs, you can purchase them in my TpT store HERE. I also left some of the headings blank so you could add your own job titles if you like! 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your job chart. Bright, primary colors always look great on black. They really pop. Thank you for all the great job ideas. There were many I never thought of that would be really helpful! I am giving away a $20 TPT gift certificate. Come visit and enter to win!

Delighted in Second

Heidi said...

Love this. Your job chart looks great. I like the idea of giving every child a job. They will most definitely enjoy it :) Thanks for sharing.

Heidi
My (Not So) Elementary Life

Lisa R. said...

I love your job chart too!! I am a big fan of Scrappin Doodles clip art. I just found your blog & I'm your newest follower. I am excited to follow along! :)
Lisa
Learning Is Something to Treasure

Unknown said...

Very cute! I love using library pockets to make my job chart. I need to find those cute colorful ones though! I nominated you for an award. Stop by and see.

Mercedes
Surfing to Success

Kaylees Education Studio said...

Love your collection of classroom jobs and your chart looks great.

stickers and staples said...

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments! I definitely read them, and they are so encouraging!! Of course, I'm now trying to think of a way to make a set of these with a pirate theme! haha

Anna Schafer said...

A community marketplace where you can collaborate with makers & designers to make almost anything.Mickey mouse wall art