Monday, October 8, 2012

Predictin' in the Kitchen

Hello friends! I have been swamped!! Anyone else feeling this way? School is kicking my tale-end, and I'm falling asleep on the couch by 9:00 each night! Yikes! So my normal time I dedicate to my blog and creating new files has been significantly cut down! However, I had a few minutes today to finish up my predictions packet and I wanted to show it to you.  When I taught predictions this week, it made perfect sense in my head to use a baking/kitchen theme since making a prediction is a lot like mixing a few "ingredients" together to get an end result. Here is what our week looked like:

We started off by reading a story in our basal reader. We made predictions throughout the story, and talked about WHY they made those predictions. 


We read "The Three Billy Goats Gruff" and made predictions together. I showed them how to use what they already know happened in the story along with what we were reading on the page to make a good prediction.

After we read the book, they went back to their seats to make predictions from a book in their book box. I showed them how to use sticky notes to record their predictions.




We did a group activity where I told them they would make a prediction about what I was having for lunch that day. I used these four pictures. I took them out one at a time, and we made predictions on what I could have eaten based on the clues they had. They had a really great time with it, and I had a great time getting them to really THINK. 



We also did several worksheets I created, a few small group centers, activities, etc. I have all these activities and more in a new file, Predictin' in the Kitchen:


 Thanks for sticking with me during this transition time into a new grade level for me! I'm hoping to be back on my feet very soon:) 

No comments: