Friday, November 9, 2012

Folktales, Fairy Tales, Fables

After we finished with Author's Purpose a few weeks ago, I realized my kiddos needed practice with the differences between fiction and nonfiction. They kept getting the terms confused, and it was making our reading time pretty difficult. I spent an entire week working on fiction/nonfiction, and now we are working on specific forms of fiction. 

I decided to make a little book with my kids to help them keep these three genres together. I LOVED how it turned out, and it is nice to have everything in one place! So here is what the week looked like:

Monday I introduced fables, and we read The Tortoise and the Hare. I called them to the carpet, and we talked about all the features we would find in a fable. After I read the story, the kids took a short quiz over the book, and filled out this page:

Tuesday, we talked about features of a fairy tale (magic, royalty, "once upon a time," good/bad characters, etc.), and we read Jack and the Beanstalk. (I actually found a really great website that read the book online.) We had a lot of discussion, and then the kids filled out this page:
Wednesday we talked about folktales, and we read Little Red Riding Hood. We read a few different versions of the story and then the kids filled out this page to sequence the story:

Thursday I gave them a cover page for their book, and they began to put it together:
Front:
Inside...left side.

Inside...right side.


Back:

Friday, I passed out the pieces that you see on the bottom of each page shown above. They had to write down the features of a fairy tale, folktale, and fable and glue them under the correct book title. I used this part for a quiz grade. 

Their books turned out SO CUTE, and I was really pleased:) If you would like to use this book in your classroom, you can download it FREE HERE.

1 comment:

luckeyfrog said...

Thanks for the freebie! It looks like these turned out really cute :)

Jenny
Luckeyfrog's Lilypad