Monday, September 10, 2012

Reading Workshop Binder

As promised, here is what my reading workshop binder looks like for my kiddos! 

Last year, I invested in the plastic binders at Walmart. They actually lasted the entire year, and I'm able to use them again this year! So not a bad investment at all!! I believe it only cost me around $20. Each binder is numbered with the student's number. These binders also stay in their book box.


I only have 4 binder tabs: Log, Goals, Response, and Genre.



Behind the first tab is for their reading log. This is where they record the books they are reading each day. I took Beth Newingham's idea for a reading log and simplified it a little bit for my kids. They write the title, author, color code (their color level in my library that matches their DRA level), and they mark E, JR, or H to tell me if the book was easy, just right, or hard for them to read! 

I have a few pages behind the Goals tab. The first one is where I keep a record of my meetings with the kids. I have a page that I keep in my own binder, but I think it's important for them to have a copy of what we talked about so they can always reference it. I know this is hard to read, but the first box says "What I Struggle With." The second box says, "How I'm going to fix it." The third box says, "My goal." The final box says "I did it!" In the last box I write the date they accomplished their goal.


Also behind the Goals tab is where I write their DRA level. They get to watch themselves grow throughout the year as they see their DRA level increase! 

I don't have a picture of them, but behind the Response tab, the kids place all of their reading response pages. I usually collect them at the end of the week for a grade! I use some pages I've made, and I also use The Teacher Wife's Reading Comprehension Worksheets.

Behind the Genres tab is where I keep reference pages and activities we work on for each genre. The page you see below is from my Reading Genre Posters set.


So that is a close look at what our binders look like! We just set them up today, so you are seeing a blank copy. As the year goes on, I'll post more pictures with the pages filled out! 

2 comments:

4321Teach said...

Thank you so much for posting about your binders. Your information is very helpful. I am looking forward to seeing them as the student use them.

Antoinette :)

The OTHER end of the Reading Rope said...

Interesting idea to have individual reading folders rather than a large binder....would make it easier for conferencing for sure...hmmmm